I haven’t been to the gym in a few days. I’ve been busy running around getting my children prepared for summer activities.
Before the school year was over, I made time to go to the gym at least 4 times a week and I was dedicated to a meal plan. How is it that I now have more time, but will not make an effort to go to the gym?
Summer is the time where most of us relax and take it a little easier. I kill myself for ten months out of a year and then when summer arrives I slow down on going to the gym and eating healthy. I believe I reason with myself and say I work hard enough, but deep down I know that isn’t true.
Yes, I work hard in the gym, but choosing a lifestyle where I am conscious of what I am eating and where I want my level of fitness to be is important to me. So, I googled how to stay motivated to go to the gym. I found this helpful article and bonus, it’s science-based.
- Rules were made to be broken. We shouldn’t set up rules that are too hard, especially as a beginner. Reason being, we will become discouraged if we set high standards early in the game.
- Competition can be useful. Now I can attest to this, I’ve been that person that is competing with the person next to me, unbeknownst to them. Try it, you’ll be surprised with the motivation it bears.
- Going with a partner. Whether it’s your significant other or a friend. Having someone that’s counting on you to go makes you really commit. I used to go with my boyfriend and I didn’t want him to feel like I didn’t favour his time, so I would make sure I was there on time even if I didn’t feel like going. Eventually, a habit set it and I continued to go even when he couldn’t make it.
- Don’t just work out for aesthetics. This one is spot on! I used to do this, up until recently when I started to really love my body for what it is and what it been through. I’m motivated purely because I like how pumping iron and working up a sweat makes me feel! Let go of the ideas that society has put in our heads of what a woman’s body should look like.
- Using social media for support. I participated in a group workout before and although it wasn’t for me, I built friendships with a few of the women and we check in on each other from time to time.
- There are fitness apps to make money!!! Didn’t know this, but I will be trying it out.
Now armed with these 6 secrets I’m more motivated to go to the gym and I hope you are too. It’s beneficial to look at exercise and healthy eating as a lifestyle change that will be apart of your life. Instead of giving fitness and clean eating a time limit, I’m going to continue mentally checking my motivation and outlook on this new lifestyle for me.
I hope you all enjoyed! 😊
Link to article: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-culture/how-motivate-yourself-get-out-bed-work-out-today-ncna743006